Hydrophobic coating, superhydrophobic coating and hydrophillic coating has numerous industrial uses. Hydrophobicity promotes water-shedding and self-cleaning, hydrophilicity promotes “breathability” of vapor in textiles and prevents slip-stick in medical products. FNG Precision Coatings have several hydrophobic coatings that meet unique needs and we are happy to assist you in selecting the appropriate coating for your coating project. Contact us today to start a no-obligation conversation.
Hydrophobicity has its roots in nature and among several naturally water-shedding and self-cleaning plants, the Lotus flower (Nelumbo) is the best example of this. This is the reason hydrophobic properties in coatings have received the nickname Lotus effect.
When water contacts a hydrophobic coated surface, the high surface tension of water causes droplets to assume a spherical shape. The spherical shape has the lowest liquid-solid energy and this reduces the contact area as well as the adhesion force and thus promotes water-shedding and self-cleaning. Dirt particles also have a reduced contact area, and when a water droplet rolls across a surface-contamination, the droplet will adhere to the dirt and wash the dirt away from the surface.
Hydrophobicity is measured by the surface angle of the water droplet, the higher the angle, the higher the hydrophobicity. See image below for typicaldifferences between Hodrophobic, Supehydrophobic and Hydrophilic surface angles. Surfaces with a 90° or below contact angle are called hydrophilic, those with a 90° to 150° are Superhydrophobic and those beyond 150° and are called Ultrahydrophobic.
Hydrophobic properties can be beneficially utilised in many industries. Some of the beneficial uses are listed here:
- Hydrophobic coating is used in rain gear and outer wear to repel water from clothing
- Hydrophobic and Superhydrophobic coating is now in use as an anti-ice coating for aerospace
- Superhydrophobic coatings applied to microwave antennas can significantly reduce rain fade and the buildup of ice and snow
- Superhydrophobic coatings have been used in dew harvesting for drinking water and plant irrigation
- Hydrophobic coating is used to coat buildings and windows to make them self-cleaning
- Hydrophobic coatings also have bacterial resistance and multiple potential medical uses such as surgical tools
FNG Precision Coatings is standing by to assist you in your hydrophobic coating needs, contact us today!